Keeping The Faith

They say I seek after an Africa that may never be found, but I seek it nonetheless. And though the finish line may seem beyond sight, I will run the run towards a better Africa. With the spirit of a Zulu, the grit of an Olulumo and the resolve of a Maasai, I run the race towards the unity faith, peace and progress that has eluded the land and the people of Africa since the birth of slavery, colonialism and neocolonialism.

Search This Blog

Friday 29 August 2008

Insomnia

I lay helpless on the bare ground of our dark hut;
watching Omar Bongo’s men drag my father away;
six gun nozzles staring at him without a blink
Kabila’s soldiers came-And the last I heard of my mother
was a scream of sacred pain.
I woke up with a loud cry of dismay from this nightmare
breathing as heavily as though I had just run fromKinshasa to Kampala,
chased by bullets and machetes and clubs.
I closed my eyes to seduce the spirits of sleep;
to snooze into the African-Utopia and draw some strength
-to run from Harare to Addis Ababa
when the sun rose.
But I couldn’t find that fat city I hoped for;
Mugabe, Mobutu and Mengistu had ordered the
massacre of everything that once made it a dreamland
I woke up again, with a squeal; panting,
panting as though I had just seen the ghosts of
Idi Amin and Sani Abacha
It began to rain outside. It rains here everyday;
tears and blood dripping down roof tops
and gushing into gutters
Bullets have been lightning flashes, And thunder cries
have been the wails of a suffering people.
It was still very dark outside
But it’s been dark here for very long now
Some men have held day from breaking,
strong men indeed.
I am still in that dark hut wondering when help will come
- wondering if it will ever come.
I thought I heard OAU and UN soldiers coming
But no, they were footsteps of Laurent Nkunda's men,
marching towards my hut
with a commanding voice, screaming
- “Destroy everything!”

No comments:


Custom Search