Keeping The Faith

They say I seek after an Africa that may never be found, but I seek it nonetheless. And though the finish line may seem beyond sight, I will run the run towards a better Africa. With the spirit of a Zulu, the grit of an Olulumo and the resolve of a Maasai, I run the race towards the unity faith, peace and progress that has eluded the land and the people of Africa since the birth of slavery, colonialism and neocolonialism.

Search This Blog

Friday 29 August 2008

Dance of a god

Life is beating the Ayara-Ekomo drum
and I am dancing like the priestess of the river
possessed by the mermaid spirit of Anansa
even the sun rises to applaud my passion
Fate has cooked for me- the black soup
I lick it with the zest of a starved child
I run from the statues of my negritude
that sing to me the songs of the spirits
and expect me to dance the dance of the dead
I run as far as I can under those hunting eyes
of the night, through the thicket of the gathering
spirits of the forest. I can fall to the ground
like a Yoruba manto salute the full moon
that illuminates my escape path
From time to time,
the daunting drum-beats of life blend with
the crying drums and wailing flutes of my native land
and the music of a sun-heated people fill my ears-
And like a funeral-dance in a wake-keeping
I am demanded to tap to the depressing melody
But I dance the dance of a god.

No comments:


Custom Search